RALLIES IN IRELAND; POET PAULA MEEHAN SPEAKS

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

"Legend of the Walled-up Wife" featured in "The Antioch Review"


The spring 2013 issue of The Antioch Review takes a thoughtful look at our recent volume, Legend of the Walled-up Wife, Eiléan Ní Chuilleanáin's translations of Ileana Mălăncioiu's poetry.  Written under the Ceaușescu regime, the book has dark, chilling imagery throughout and critic Benjamin S. Grossberg writes: "Mălăncioiu often blurs the line between life and death, creating the sense of haunted dislocation one finds in Dickinson." He adds that Ní Chuilleanáin;s translation, despite its colloquial tone, "gives the poems a shapeliness, a formality that complements their understated horror."  Mălăncioiu's work is described as "a reminder of just how viscerally... art can speak, even through a censor."

                                                 © Cover Art by David Battle

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Are you well?

    I gonna start blogging about few days later. So, I think to read more blogs to enrich my blogging methods. I also read your posting. I like to share my Some people have bad opinions about trucks provided on community selling at Truck salvage, considering that many of the models on community auction are already poorly broken and with comprehensive problems. While this can be real, not all models were poorly managed and irresponsibly used by their past entrepreneurs. Actually, there is some Auction for trucks that are a little bit used with low usage, and they look like product new; they are also in ideal operating situation, yet they are still respected at very low costs.

    A Billion Thanks Only For You.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is one of the so much significant information for me. And i am glad studying your article. birkin bag

    ReplyDelete