This past Saturday night marked Wake Forest University Press' first Wake Up to Poetry Celebration. In honor of National Poetry Month, WFUP collected student submissions, receiving more than 50 poems. The submissions were then evaluated by award-winning poets, Adrian Rice, Rachel Richardson, and David Roderick. At Saturday's event the student winners Baily Pittenger, Mackenzie Connollee, Jessica Whitehair, and Kory Riemensperger read their winning poems. Not only did I awaken to some truly thought-provoking and powerful words from my peers, but I also had the privilege to hear the works of the three award-winning judges.
The intermingling of poetry and Irish music created an atmosphere of
captivation, reflection, and joy.
Although I went to the Community Arts Cafe Saturday anticipating a night filled with insightful poetry (of which there was a multitude), I also had the shear pleasure of listening to The Belfast Boys, a traditional Irish duo from Hickory, NC including judge Adrian Rice and his musical partner Alyn Mearns. Rice's delicate mandolin playing and Mearns' lilting vocals created an intimacy almost tangible within the space. Their reinventions of traditional songs including an eight-minute long rendition of "Danny Boy", ushered a silence over the crowd, bringing all the beauty of traditional Irish music to NC.
After playing their set, The Belfast Boys invited musicians in attendance to join in an open session.
"The world needs people that feel deeply and that's what poets are".-Unknown
Posted by Nicole
This really great to see, these pictures,
ReplyDeleteNext time, I would like to participate also to share my poetry and shayari.
I am glad to found such useful post. I really increased my knowledge after read your post which will be beneficial for me. birkin bag
ReplyDelete