RALLIES IN IRELAND; POET PAULA MEEHAN SPEAKS

Friday, October 5, 2012

Poem of the Week



For those of you planning to visit a bakery this weekend, this poem's for you. In Bread, Brendan Kennelly takes on the persona of an unexpected speaker to paint his picture of the baking process. Below you'll find a video of Kennelly explaining his choice in perspective and a reading of the poem itself. Enjoy and have a nice weekend!

Bread
Brendan Kennelly

Someone else cut off my head
In a golden field.
Now I am re-created.

By her fingers. This
Moulding is more delicate
Than a first kiss,

More deliberate than her own
Rising up
And lying down,

I am fine
As anything in
This legendary garden

Yet I am nothing till
She runs her fingers through me
And shapes me with her skill.

The form that I shall bear
Grows round and white
It seems to comfort her

Even as she slits my face
And stabs my chest.
Her feeling for perfection is

Absolute.
So I am glad to go through fire
And come out

Shaped like her dream.
In my way
I am all that can happen to men.
I came to life at her finger-ends.
I will go back into her again.


http://www.youtube.com/embed/3mfeSIlIS4s

2 comments:

  1. This is nice and amazing site i love your all post. Thanks for all writer writing this post. Really, very interesting this web site.
    retro office furniture

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have visited and read many blogs, but your blog is totally different from others. I am very lucky to find this kind of blog.

    Social Search

    ReplyDelete