RALLIES IN IRELAND; POET PAULA MEEHAN SPEAKS

Friday, April 27, 2012

Fall in love with the weather and poetry!

Today we interns are feeling especially cheery. There are a glorious seven days left until crunch time for finals, and we intend to take full advantage of them. We're in love with this beautiful spring day, so what better way to express our happiness than by finding inspiration in Nuala Ni Dhomhnaill's poem about falling in love?

It's Friday, and the sun is shining. So, read this poem, enjoy, and have a great weekend!

I Fall in Love
By Nuala Ni Dhomhnaill

I fall in love, in the fall of every year,
with the smattering of rain on my windshield
and the pale and wan light toppling over the sheer
edge of my field
of vision, with leaves strewn in my way,
with the bracket-fungus screwed to a rotten log:
I fall in love with bog and cold clay
and what they hold in store for me and you, my dear.

I fall in love with all that's going off:
with blackened spuds
rotting in their beds, wit
Brussels sprouts nipped in the bud
by a blast of frost, rat-eaten artichokes, and,
like so many unpicked locks,
the tares and cockles buried in shifting sand;
it's as if I fall in love a little with death itself.

For it's neither the fall nor the coming to in spring--
neither shrug of the shoulders nor sudden foray
down that boring 'little road of the King'--
but something else that makes me wary:
how I throw off the snowy sheet and icy quilt
made of feathers from some flock
of Otherworldly birds, how readily I am beguiled
by a sunny smile, how he offers me a wing















1 comment:

  1. When i am free from my work then usually i read some nice poems but from some i didn't find any nice and useful poem as your poem .You have very creative ideas i like it so much.
    Water Leak Detection

    ReplyDelete